Tip Tuesday....What are your kids really eating at school?

I'm going to start out this blog post by just being real. I am the kid this post is about, well I was. True confession time, when I was 10 years old my Mom was going through my dresser drawers. It wasn't the first time she would find something shocking and it certainly wouldn't be the last much to her dismay. I was a very obedient child at least I thought I was, but every now and then just like every other child I went rogue. Having a dresser drawer full of weeks old uneaten peanut butter and jelly sandwiches s defiantly on the rebel side. Boy was my Mom mad!

So now you're wondering why was my dresser drawer full of uneaten peanut butter and jelly sandwiches wrapped in cellophane and still neatly packed in their brown paper sacks? I didn't want to eat them, duh! Hindsight is of course 20/20 vision and even as an adult I cannot stand a plain old sandwich. I would rather starve. But in the seventies and early eighties a sack lunch full of ham and cheese or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were the norm for a school lunch. At least it was in my house and I hated it. I secretly longed to be the cool kid who ate hot lunch every day. So for a long time I threw out my lunch and saved my allowance and bought the items I liked or traded with other kids. When the lunch lady started to get wind of my mischievous doings I had to become more discreet. That's when I started bringing those sandwiches home in my backpack and stuffing them in my dresser drawer. It was a great plan until the stench started, that was my demise.

After the storm cleared and I accepted my punishment I finally got the courage to tell my Mom why I had been hiding the sandwiches. I DIDN'T LIKE peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or any other sandwiches and I would rather starve than eat them. Well, again, this was an era that you got what you got whether you liked it or not, but the extent of my dislike of these sandwiches was as obvious as the smell coming from my room so that was the end of my sandwich days. My Mom eventually even came to work in the lunch room as a cook and let me tell you she is a very good cook.

The point of this post is not my hatred for sandwiches. The point is that as parents we don't really know what our kids are eating at school. Times have certainly changed and as parents, we are more in tuned with healthy eating and helicopter parenting, but even then we may not really know what our kids are eating. My friend's at Labdoor recently looked into this question a little deeper and you may be surprised with what they discovered.

OUR KIDS ARE STILL THROWING AWAY THEIR LUNCHES! 


Shocking right?

I wasn't surprised but again I was the girl who had a drawer full of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Michelle Obama has made great strides in her initiatives to insure that school lunches are healthier and as parents, we can always control what we pack in our kid's lunches but what we can't control is what they do from there. Just as my Mother found out, once I was out the door, she no longer knew what I was doing until I slipped up. Damn that smell! So no helicopter parenting can help this, but no worries. Armed with the information compiled by Labdoor and my recent article on the subject, you can start that conversation with your child and find out what they are really eating at school!

This week's Tip Tuesday is ....

Read this very informative article and the full study compiled by Labdoor and then have a conversation with your children. Find out what they are really eating at school. Eating healthy is a lifestyle and it is learned. As parents, it begins with us. We won't always be able to control what they do when they leave the nest, but we can give them the tools to make the best possible decisions!

Happy Tuesday my fellow parents!

Happy and Healthy, The Heather Way!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dance It Off With Kim gives the gift of dance to breast cancer survivors in October