Bust workout boredom with bowling

We are a week into 2016, how are you doing on those New Year's resolutions? I myself am not a resolution kind of gal. I learned at a young age that resolutions are fleeting. I am more of a goal kind of person. At the end of the year, I spend some time reflecting on the good and bad that came from the year. I also always set goals based on that reflection for the upcoming year. This year was no different for me.

Looking at my list I had accomplished many of the goals on my list and fell very, very short on others. One of those was to breakup the monotony of my workouts with the thought process that I would enjoy exercise even more, and maybe even learn or practice new skills. My intentions were geniune and there was even movement on taking action last year. I spent some money on Groupons for new activities and events but life and other responsibilities often got in the way. I found myself in the same workout rut due to obligation of just getting that workout in.

So, once again the goal of breaking up the boredom in my workout world is back on the goal list. (I'll have to be sure to update you all this time next year). I still have that drawer full of Groupons so I'm that far ahead of the game. I also took a little more action. I went bowling. Yes, bowling.



I haven't been bowling in many years and it was a ton of fun! So what did this health and wellness writer do when she got done bowling? She researched all the health benefits of bowling, of course to see if that was actually a workout or was I just having fun, Turns out the answer is both. Bowling is in fact a sport that gives people of all ages hours of fun exercise. Isn't that what I was looking for?

I was so excited by my epiphany that I felt I had to share all my enthusiasm and knowledge with the world and so I did and still am! I recently published my bowling findings in an article for the Health and Fitness section of examiner.com.  In this article, you can find out all the great benefits of bowling!

One of my favorites is that bowling is great for mental health. Bowling is a social activity and helps build relationships, relieve stress, and reduce the risk of depression. One week into January, with gray skies in every direction, the bright lights and excitement of a fun game of bowling made me forget I was in the dreary Midwest. We laughed, we were competitive, we talked without cell phones, and we also received all the other great physical benefits that come from bowling! Can you tell it was fun?

So, if you are looking for a family friendly way to break up the workout boredom skip the gym, find your nearest bowling alley with your family or some really great friends. Be sure to read my article, though because there are many unhealthy pitfalls at the bowling alley and I go into this a little there. Remember, you wouldn't drink a beer on the treadmill, at least I don't think you would, so stay away from the bar to keep this a workout!

Also many bowling alleys offer leagues to join at every level so you can actually make this part of your routine. The alley I was at actually had a Bowl Fit league dedicated to helping participants get healthy in the new year.

And another added health benefit I was excited about.....MOST BOWLING ALLEYS ARE SMOKE FREE! I am a child of the 70's and hated bowling due to the nasty cigarette smoke that filled the air. Most states now require bowling alleys to be smoke free!

Now let's go bowl!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dance It Off With Kim gives the gift of dance to breast cancer survivors in October

Tip Tuesday....What are your kids really eating at school?